In That I Rejoice
Philippians 1:18 "...and in that I rejoice."
One of the blessings of being a Christian that I appreciate more year after year is the ability to rejoice at all times, regardless of our circumstances. God has blessed us with so much that is eternal and unchanging, that even in times of trial and profound sorrow we can still look to his grace and find joy. Our joy is the result of faith, not our circumstances.
Right now is a time for many of us when our immediate circumstances are a source of grief, not joy. But still we can rejoice because, in God’s kindness, our joy is grounded in eternal things that transcend our circumstances - his love for us, our union with Christ, the forgiveness of sins, eternal life, etc.
Here is a list of a few of the things we find God’s people rejoicing about in the New Testament. This list is not by any means exhaustive, but I thought it might be a help to us as we are all striving to look beyond the trials of the moment and rejoice in the truth:
- Rejoice at the resurrection, Matt 28:8
- Rejoice when they receive the word, Mark 4:16
- Rejoice in the incarnation, Luke 2:10
- Rejoice in the 2nd coming, John 16:22
- Rejoice in prayer answered, John 16:24
- Rejoice that their names in written in heaven, Luke 10:20
- Rejoice in the salvation of others, Luke 15:6
- Rejoice in hearing Christ’s voice, John 3:29
- Rejoice in seeing others sanctified, Phil 2:2, Rom 16:19
- Rejoice in seeing the faith and perseverance of others, 2Cor 7:13, 1Thess 2:20, 3John 4
- Rejoice in Christian fellowship, Philemon 7
- Rejoice that their treasure is in heaven, Heb 10:34, Matt 5:12
- Rejoice in knowing that trials produce faith, James 1:2-3, Rom 5:3
- Rejoice in seeing Christ by faith, 1Pe 1:8
- Rejoice that they are counted worthy to suffer dishonor for Christ’s name, Acts 5:41
- Rejoice in their our own salvation, Acts 8:39, 16:34
- Rejoice in hope of the glory of God, Rom 5:2
- Rejoice in other Christians being honored, 1Cor 12:26
- Rejoice in the truth, 1Cor 13:6
- Rejoice in the sorrowful repentance of others, 2Cor 7:9
- Rejoice in the gospel being preached, Phil 1:18
- Rejoice in sharing in Christ’s sufferings, 1Pe 4:13
- Rejoice in the marriage supper of the lamb, Rev 19:7
Brothers and sisters, can you find something on this list about which you can say, "and in that I rejoice"?