Detecting Toxic Prayer
Topic: A Praying People Passage: Matthew 6:5–6:15
In the sermon on the mount, Jesus made some warnings about "toxic prayer." Praying people will want to be aware of these cases and heed Jesus' warnings.
- Replace the toxic prayer of hypocrites with prayer that seeks God’s glory. (Vs. 5-6)
- Replace the toxic prayer of Gentiles with prayer informed by a knowledge of the true and living God. (Vs. 7-8)
- Replace the toxic prayer of those who refuse to forgive with an attitude of grace, mercy, and forgiveness. (Vs. 14-15)
Consider what God calls you do to:
- Seek God’s glory alone in prayer both secretly and corporately. Make diligent use of the means of grace (worship, prayer meetings).
- Pray to Him as your Father with simple, biblically informed words and childlike trust.
- Forgive from the heart as you have been forgiven